NEW regulations since 2008 allow most dormers under Permitted Development Rights, saving Planning Permission delays and costs.
This means that No Planning Permission from the Local Authority is need for a Dormer Loft Conversion.
Below are the basic guidelines but Milltown Lofts can advise & clarify what is and isn’t Permitted Development.
Volume increase of 40 cubic metres for terraced, and 50 cubic metres for detached & semi-detached houses.
- No dormer on the front elevation
- The new Dormer cannot be built higher than the existing ridge tiles
- The materials being in keeping with roof, house and the street
- No verandas, balconies or raised platforms (except Juliets)
- Side-facing windows to be obscure-glazed and any opening to be 1.7 metres above the floor
- Dormer extensions are set back, as far as practicable, at least 200mm from the eaves
- PD Rights are excluded in designated areas, i.e. National Parks, ANOB, conservation areas etc.